Thursday, February 01, 2007

Off to the South!

Hi Everyone,

I am in my last half hour at fieldwork. Today has actually been quite sad for me. I have really gotten close to a few of the clients here and am actually looking at the clock every few minutes, hoping that it hasn’t changed much. We just had a huge cake (a deluxe nut cake..ah well good for the diet...). One of the clients handmade a farewell card for my that tries to convince me that OT’s get paid WAY more here so to accept the job here. :op And a few of the clients stood up and said a few words to me about how much I have helped them. The tears were coming down. Despite all of their challenges, they are all so sweet and very concerned about my welfare and safe journey home. It’s sad to leave behind one guy in particular because I have worked so hard for him and he has overcome so many obstacles. He hasn't really opened up to anyone else before and is a little sad today. He asked to come everywhere with me today, and is even walking me to the bus stop in about 10 minutes. It's hard to know what to say at the very end, because that it what hecwill remember. First time ever to be sad leaving a placement. These guys have truly become my good friends.

I am meeting Eddie's prof in an hour and then tonight, we are off to the rugby game! It's gonna be great! All kinds of hype around the city! Then early tomorrow morning, we're outta here! I don't know how much I will be able to write from the South Island, but I will try.

Love you all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo,

It sounds like you have made some great friendships. Now you will have to keep in touch with them by blog. Hope you have a great two weeks of Jo-time in New Zealand, we look forward to seeing you when you return. Travel safe and take care.

Lots of Love
A. Holly

Anonymous said...

HOw was the meeting with Eddie's Prof.....we need details!!! CALL US ASAP!!!

Love,
LB

Anonymous said...

Well Jo-Anna it sounds like you probably had a very emotional day. You know what they say one door closes and another one opens. Call soon and enjoy your well deserved vacation. I am beginning to count the days before your return.
Love mommy xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Jo Booz....You have absolutely NO idea how sad I have been that I missed your phone call. I was down at Gediminas watching a movie =( SOOOOO good to hear your voice on my machine though...I saved it hehe...jsut to listen to a few more times. I love you sweetie and I am actually glad to hear how much you have bonded with your clients. Those who become your friends stay with you forever and teach you the most!

Be safe in your travels over the next two weeks...I can't wait to talk to you!!! If you try me again and I am not home call Gedas at 207-834-8712...

Miss you a bunch!

Love Kate

always your sista booz=)

Anonymous said...

Have a great 2 weeks vacation, make sure you take lots of pics. We will have to take up a collection for you so we can help with the cost of printing them for you.

Baby Jason loves you very much and can't wait to show you all of his new tricks when you get home.

When you are jumping off a cliff make sure you think of me I always wanted to jump but being afraid of heights it most likely will never happen.

Take care
Paula

Anonymous said...

Joan (I'm calling you that from now on! or do you prefer Joanne?), what a touching post! This has been such an amazing life experience and what a way to begin your career. Rememebr that you will always touch the lives of those you work with. Other work places won't be as exotic and lush as NZ but people are people and your clients will benifit from your hard work and care wherever you are. Enjoy your time!