Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's a Farm.

Mom-there is not hospital here. I am quite literally working on a farm. It's residential housing for men with traumatic brain injuries, and as much as a farm as you can get. I missed a few days of blogging so I will start where I left off...

The day before we went back to work we tried to go to my wokplace. But since it is a national holiday BOTH January 1st and 2nd, the bus to Kumeu was not in operation. So plan B, let's hit the beach! We travelled about an hour north of Auckland along the coast to a place called Long Bay, North Shore Regional Park. When we got there it was picturesque. The beach was about 1km long and soft hot hot hot sand. We went on a cliff-top walk, that was a few kilometers long,right along the coastline. So far this was my favorite place by far. I say that each time we go somewhere new. But this has stood for a few days now...Anyways pictures are the only thing that can describe this place, but again, coastline of huge floral cliffs along one side and pastures on the other. But not like pastures back home. These pastures are, well the only way I can describe it is as 3-Dimensional rolling hills, with a different shade of green every cm or so. It really is like the terrain is alive. I know that it sounds cheesy but, it is the closest I can come to pleading to convince you of the gorgeousness. The beach was packed with families and friends palying rugby and BBQ's all over, we people watched for an hour or so and snagged some pretty neat shots whiel basking in the sun. We both got a pretty bad burn-forgot that the biggest hole in the ozone is right above us. It only takes like 10 min to feel it. Thanks for the lotion Annie! Love it!

That night we went again, out of the city to a place called One Tree Hill, in a town called Royal Oak :o). Huge volcano covered with sheep. OUR VERY FIRST SHEEO SIGHTING. Baaaaaaa! We may have not been on our best behavior and may have videotaped ourselves wildly chasing after sheep (good way to get exported from the country I suppose). We built our names out of lava rock and filmed it from the top. Quite an outstanding scene. :o). We met these two guys along the path at the top of the volcano who kind of surrounded us and followed us, wanting to give us hugs and talk about Canada. It was kind of intimidating, but its just b/c the locals are so friendly, not used to it. They asked if we were Maori, hmmm....I know we are burnt but....we are only Maori wannabees.:o) Then we kicked some small kids of a playground ride so we could film some extreme footage... you'll see.

First day at work yesterday. I have a beautiful bus ride about 40 minutes north to Kumeu, at a place called Ransworth Healthcare, or should I say Ransworth Farm. The drive is all through the finest wine country in NZ. As I walked up the driveway, which is right across the street from Soljans Winery-the place I was dying to see/visit, see http://www.soljans.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/welcometosoljans -RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET!
Up the sriveway, all I could see was roosters and horses. All I could think about was this place will be difficult to relax in (slack off) :o) b/c it is so small. I showed up and recognized my preceptor from the infamous Dal photo wall, and introduced myself. He said, well it's nice to see you but you weren't supposed to come until tomorrow. OOPS. Well it worked out b/c I am banking that day to have off at the end. Looks like well be done on the 5th so more time in the south island ( alittle more than a week! (b/c they also have a holiday that week), and of course we will be using our sick day then too. It's all working out lovely. It is a residential home for men with TBI, 17 of them. I spent my first day 2 hours at the local pub with one of the clients who is a recovering alcoholic. :op. Is this OT stuff safe?...Joking, it's just to make sure that they don't order more drinks then they are permitted as part of their program. I'm off at 3:00 pm every day which allows me to get back to the city before supper and still have the entire evening free. This placement will be fun I think. My precpetor seems really cool and is very excited to talk about the country with me. He actualy went to school at Dal, and was born in Campbellton,NB! Small, small world...I told him about my job there and he laughed. :o(. I asked him about jobs here and he said that OTs only get paid about 75% of what they do in Canada and the cost of living is much higher, so that doesn't seem sensible. But I am considering. It's gonna be very had to leave I know already.

Last night we finally found a Liquor King (store) and bought some New Zealand wine. We call it McWine b/c we drank it out of McDonald icecream sundae cups that we confiscated for free b/c we are too cheap to buy dishwashing liquid to wash the ones in our apartments, and b/c that would be gross. If you are creative you really dont have to buy anything! :O) We also met another Rubgy player (the frist one we met as he sat by me on the plane from LA to NZ). We got our picture with him and got his autograph, trying to buy tickets tonight to the Feb 2nd game here (the only game that takes place when we are here). They are only like 50 bucks. Exciting!

Note: no postal codes here, and no disc drive at work so no pictures until we get an better idea-Melissa's preceptor said we could go to her place to do it, we are workin on it, and hopefully looking at new apartments tonight, down on the waterfront

Side Note: Me and Melissa have been out of toilet paper for 4 days and refuse to buy any. Every bathroom we go to, we unravel the roll there around our hands and put it up our shirts until we get to our apartment.


CONGRATS ALLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!! boys....

Love you all. -Jo

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jo darlin...so the news about Allie WOW! Gonna be a crazy place around here in a few months LOL.

Anyhow glad to hear things are working out much better now a days...hahaha you work on a farm =) Very cute indeed.

Well I am headed back to the States next week, been strange in the parents house without you! Love and miss you Boozer.

Love Kat aka sista booz

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo,
it's G:) nice to hear from you. I see things are a little unexpected for you but hopefully everything will be ok:) hope you are gonna have a good time!;) At least its beautiful in there and lots of stuff to do!ok have fun and keep writing;)

Gediminas

Anonymous said...

Hey Jo! This is the first chance I've had to take a look at your blog. Boy, did I miss a lot. Took me a while to get caught up. :) I'm really glad things turned around - that first entry had me worried. I can't wait to see your pictures after all your vivid descriptions of the landscape. All of the things you've seen and the activities you've attended all sound so interesting and fun. I'm really intrigued about the New Year's Eve thing with the tribal dance too. I hope finding a new place goes smoothly and it turns out to be fabulous! Take care and I'll check back soon. Holly

Anonymous said...

Hey lady, I was thinking...you could teach your new budgeting skills to clients, "no need to waste money on toilet paper my dear client - just 'borrow' some from public places everytime you go out, take it home & voila - it's free!" lol, you guys crack me up. NZ sounds amazing, off early, sunny beaches....awwww. Enjoy your time my friend. Can't wait to hear more. xo Annie

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo-Anna,

Just wanted to say hi and that we are checking your blog daily. We all agree that you should become a writer. Your decriptions of the scenery excellent. Take care and we look forward to your updates.

P.S. Take care of your skin and use your sun screen!!!
Love A. Holly

Anonymous said...

Jo,

You guys sound like you're having an amazing time! I'm so jealous...going to the beach!!! Kelly and I are freezing our butts off here in Freddie;-)
Can't wait to hear more!

Love,
LB

Anonymous said...

Super Blog Jo!
cant wait to see the pics but you're doing a GREAT job describing everything.
~allie

Anonymous said...

Jo! I just had a chance to read your blog for the first time & all I can say is WOW! Sounds like a true adventure & I can't wait to hear more. Take care, be safe and keep having lots of FUN in the SUN!

Love Andrea
FYI: The wedding planning is going smoothly. I can't wait for you to come home to help me out! Oh, and I'll be sure to wait 'til you get back home to try on dresses! Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Jo you are missing lots. Jason is almost crawling he does this snake like thing and goes across the floor quite quickly. Tonight he sat up on his own...he went from laying on his tummy to sitting as he tried to stand up using the rocking chair as leverage. I can no longer keep up with him and we offically need to put baby gates up around here like yesterday. gotta go its swwimming time with the baby
love P-Bird