Thursday, January 11, 2007

Interesting Turn of Events...

I called Yvonne Leforte this morning, Denise Poole’s family member that lives in New Zealand. Phyllis had given me her contact info before I left. She is a doctor here but originally was from Canada. She invited Melissa and I over for dinner at her home next week and to spend the evening with her and her family. That will be very nice, although Denise had not even told her that I was coming. She was very eager to have us over though and oh my, you know what I am thinking don’t you? :o) A HOME COOKED MEAL!

So last night, well after work, we went to Flight Centre and paid for our tickets to the South Island. We leave Auckland on Saturday, feb 3rd (the day after placement ends) and fly back to Auckland on our way home (to California) on February 14th. Our plane doesn’t leave Auckland until Feb 15th (at night) so we will be sleeping on the airport floor for 24 hours. So we bought that and then we went to pay for our weekend trip to the Bay Of Islands up north. This trip we got for a really good price, $107 each for return bus fare and accommodations. We will have to spend more on activities once there, but we thought that was good. So I paid for mine and then Melissa tried to pay for hers. But it appears that she has spent it all. I already paid for mine so I just lent her the money for this one. She is still waiting for her SWIF.

So then, I went to Danny Doolans and bought that fabulous take out salad to eat at home. So we get home and there is a “semi-eviction notice” in our apartment. It says that our outstanding balance is past due and that we would have to pay it within 5 days or else “necessary steps would be taken”. Well I was fuming mad. We had been putting off paying, mostly b/c the office always closed hours early and they were always closed when we wanted to pay. So, I didn’t know what to think. I just lent Melissa over a hundred dollars, and now I would have to pay for all of the rent for both of us up until now. So I tried to go down to pay. We are on the 12th floor and the elevator was not working. So what does one do? The fire escape stairs of course! Ok, so I climbed down 12 flights (really 24 b/c they are double flights) and get to floor #3 where the fire escape stairs end. All that is there is the exit door to the outside. The main reception floor is on the 2nd-obviously NOT accessible from the fire escape. And of course the fire door to the outside is locked. Well I unlocked it, and tried to get out to walk around to the reception. Well of course not, it wouldn’t open. There was an electronically controlled magnetic thingy at the top which keeps it locked unless the fire alarm is pulled. Hmmm. Isn’t there jail time for that? Well there should be jail time for locking people in a huge scary building. There was honestly NO WAY OUT! And I had to climb the 12 flights up. Cranky I was. So I tried to call down to the reception to tell them whats going on. The phone number they gave us didn’t work. I was hitting buttons like mad and finally I just decided to press “0” and hope to get an operator and tell them that we were being held captive, But the front desk answered, imagine that. So they apologized and said that it should be fixed in a few minutes, it was. So I went down and paid our balance for the both of us. Melissa will have to pay for the next time we get an eviction threat.

Then we took the bus out to Mission Bay beach, not too far from town. And what did we find there? The world’s 2nd best iceceram at a place called Movenpic. It was 5 dollars for 1 single scoop, we got 2. It was something else. I would have paid 20 dollars. But still, the remaining champion is Baskin Robbins cookies and cream, which is no longer around. We walked along the beach, which had a perfect view of Rangitoto Island, lots of people swimming, but it got dark early (not a nice day). We walked along the boardwalk restaurants, and found tons of people our age and it was really our scene. We will go back on a nicer day, we were all damp and yucky feeling to be social. We headed back to town and went to bed, after a late night burger of course.

This morning at work, I had a visit from Mathijs, the AUT school of Occupational Therapy fieldwork coordinator who is going to arrange that next Friday we can tour the OT School with him on the Akoranga campus which we haven’t been to yet. And he gave us his AUT password so that we could get free access to the online academic journals if we wanted. HA! Great….thanks, but I don’t think I’ll have time to do any school stuff…

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo
Your descriptions are still tops. Keep it up. Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get back.Keep on enjoying
love Guy 1/2yd

Anonymous said...

how sweet flowers...they seam to stop coming after babies are born whats up with that?

Not much is new with Jason, he has a little cold so we bought him a vaporizer tonight I hope it helps him sleep as his mommy has not slept more than 12 hours in the last 120 hours...not sure how I am still walking. Jason must be having a growth spurt or something because he wakes up every hour or so to be fed.

So glad to hear your trip is going well bring me home a sea shell if you can. we can't wait to see your pics. Maybe we will get an ice cream cake and look at all the pictures together...sound good Allie?
Love you Paula

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo
Hope everything works out! Can't wait to see your pics!
Love,
LB

Anonymous said...

Hey Booz! Well what adventures you are having...fun. Just wanted to fill you in on Gedas's surprise he got for his birthday=) ME!!! So I arrange it that i took the long 12 hour bus ride back to the fort, where I must add has SO much SNOW...well not that much over a foot though! Friends picked me up at the bus stop in Edmunston and we surprise Gedas at Tommy D's...Pizza place where they were having his b-day dinner (free for the B-ball teams). I waited outside while Nic and April went in to see where they were sitting and told him they had a surprise for him! He had he's eyes closed and they brought me in...he was sooooo cute that I got a little teary eyed and yep I was speechless...funny because well I knew I was coming LOL. You should have seen his face Jo!!! SO cute. Anyhow, tell you more about that later...needless to say the surprise was a success!

So I am settled into my new place now, just waiting for Kel to get here. She will be here tomorrow=) I LOVE my shower curtain, it actually makes the bathroom super cute.

Love you and miss you tons,

Love Kate xoxox

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo
had to laugh at your comment about 20 bucks for an ice cream, only you. glad to hear your seeing so much and starting to relax and have some fun, take care,talk to you later. Big Ed

Anonymous said...

Hello Jo,
Guess I'll have to wait until you're home to see some pics - the sights sounds awesome, so I anticipate seeing you again with excitment! I'm hopeful that Melissa will receive her SWIF funding very soon (how frustrating). Hope your placement and travels continue to go well :) Take Care. Annie Q.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo,
Today is Sunday, Jan. 14th, and I am so rude doing nothing but reading your blogs since I got to Ed & Cath's. Interesting and I just need to read everything. All I can say is that you are one brave girl. Please continue to enjoy and come back safely.
Love from Peg.