Saturday, December 30, 2006

Having a Zoo-rific time!

Today we made it to the zoo. It did rain for about 15 minutes in the morning like it does every morning (like when we went down south Eddie) but that's it, and then it turns into a beautiful day. So as we were waiting for the bus, a kiwi came by and sat with us and told us that we would really really love the zoo because "It's so real!". Yipee! A real zoo...now we were more excited than before :o). The drive was nice, and the zoo is about 30 minutes outside the city in another direction than we went yesterday. It is in a place called Western Springs, home of the Museum of transport and technology (lots of old cars Ed, you would have liked it), we didn't stop or I would have taken pictures, maybe we'll get back. But on the way we passed a lush golf course and a REAL LIVE RUGBY FIELD! Impressive. So to the zoo...it was like nothing I can describe. And for those of you whom have had the pleasure of taking me to zoos, you know that I don't really enjoy them and actually get every inpatient at the exhibits and start to get cranky not too far into it. Well...let me just say that those zoos are not New Zealand Zoos. I was so excited all day. I can't wait to get the pictures posted up here. I took over 200 today (after deleting the "just not gorgeous enough" ones). My camera is working incredible and I was able to get some real hummdinger shots. Paige, you will be impressed. It's like there was too much beauty to see today for one person to take in. Melissa went all crazy with her video camera and shot like 1-hour long documentaries of elephants (so there is like an hour of just elephants, I feel asleep watching the playback), and WHY you ask? Because she just wanted to record the accent of the guy putting on the show. :oP. I must say the accents are very catchy. So the zoo was just like being in a movie where you think that all the scenery is fake and nothing can be that lush and perfect. For all of the plants and trees, you know how sometimes (most of the time) it looks planted, well here the plants were plunging out from the earth and fighting for space, everything is so dense and so varied! It was just spectacular. I like zoos now. I got Baby J a little Zoo-something!

After the zoo, we went to Western Springs park to find an old Volcanic Lava Flow amongst the wetlands. And we found it, and sat down and enjoyed the scenery, when you are here, nothing in the world can enter your mind. Nature really takes over and just makes you forget everything. I love it! What is this school/work thing that we are here to do? :o)

Tonight is New Years Eve, we are off to the waterfront now for the big outdoor concert and fireworks show. :o)

Side note: There is this store that we are in a love/hate relationship with. We went in and were taking pictures of their displays (Maori culture artwork and stuff) and were told to put our cameras away. We took a few more...But this store is like $300.00 for a t-shirt. So one the last day left here, if I can find any money left, I am buying a $29 lip gloss. Since my own lip creme was confiscated at the airport, my lips are hurting and this stuff is well worth the $29. But I figure I better eat first. But that will be a treat if I can get that. You all know how I love the Moisturel, well this is better. and no white cakey stuff Eddie! :o)

Second side note: Thank you so much for the ME bag Kelly, it is incredible for this type of travel. :o) Melissa ended up buying almost the same one here at Kathmandu, the biggest outdoor sporting store here.

Other things I have learned about NZ:
-Public displays of affection are encouraged and looking upon highly by all others. Makes me miss Eddie. Everytime I see couples in love and enjoying the scenery and sights together, I wish he was here. I mean, Melissa will do to a certain extent... :o)

Love and miss you all...but I am so glad that I am here now! I just wish you could all be seeing the same things that I am. Over here, it's just like a world that you can't see, even with the most vivid of imaginations unless you are actually here to see it, feel it and live it. So happy I am one of the lucky ones. Keep writing, makes me smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom says sorry about the repeat comments but I thought they weren't going through so I kept trying. I understand the system now after you explained how it has to be approved. Silly mom not up with this technology. HA!HA! So nice to hear your voice when you are happy so are we at home. Love you . Mom

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! Pictures?! I can't wait... and it's so good to hear that you are now enjoying yourself!
Happy New Year!

-Paige

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo-Anna, I'm glad things are improving. Sounds like it is beautiful there. We are looking forward to seeing your pictures. Paige is really eager to see them. Take care and keep us updated, I'm really enjoying your blog. It is New Years eve at around 10:10pm. Hope you had a good time down at the waterfront. Happy New Year!! Talk to you soon.

A. Holly