Thursday, February 15, 2007

Glad to be alive, sad to be in Hollywood

Wednesday night a lady that Melissa worked with was kind enough to offer her home to all 3 of us for the night, she picked us up at the airport from the South Island and took us to her house, and drove us to the airport the next day. Eddie came with us to the airport to kill time before he went to his hostel in Auckland for the night. He didnt leave until Thursday. The airport was awful, first when we checked our baggage at the airport last night, we are allowed our suitcases to be 20 kg and our carry-ons 7 kg. Well they didn't weigh ours on the way over so we had NO idea how much we had. Well my suitcase was only 25 kg (under), but Melissa's was 42 kg! So we loaded some of her stuff to mine. But then...they weighed my hiking pack (a carryone) and it was over, so I had to unload her stuff and repack mine. We were unpacking our luggage in the lineup for like at least 1 hour. Eddie was waiting at the airport with us this whole time...

Our plane ride to Los Angeles this morning was awful. WIth about an hour left in the flight. We hit some unbelievable turbulence. I thought that was the end of me. I started bawling my face off when the pilot came on and told all the crew to sit down and buckel up immediately. He sounded paniced to me, and I started sobbing. When it got rougher, I even contemplatted seriously using my visa for the $5.00/minute phone to make a phone call to mom on the ground. Melissa was great and held my arm, but I didn't understand why the pilot wasn't saying anything reassuring. This went on for about 20 minutes. The whole rest of the way on the plane, I pondered the best and fastest way to get home afterI sold my remaining plane tickets. Bus would be about 2000.00 and take 2 weeks. I am scared to death to get back on a plane.

Then we got a shuttle to our hostel in Hollywood, a 1.5 hour ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not that far but he drove around at so many stops and the traffic is NUTS!!!! The city is so smoggy and dirty. And our room...get this...the toilet is in the middle of the room....so everytime that we have to pee, the other person has to leave the hostel room! We detest it here already. Nothing is within walking distance. We are too sad and TOO exhausted to go anywhere. We both just want to come home...really bad. Sniff...sniff....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo, don't worry you will be home before you know it. And I am sure the plane ride will improve. If you can bungie jump, the next flight will be a breeze. You just had some bad turbulance. Just think the next plane ride will be taking you back home to all your friends and family. Looking forward to seeing you when you get back. Take care in L.A.
Lots of Love
A. Holly

Anonymous said...

Jo, this is a good thing because you'll be happy to be home and not missing NZ too much. Well, until it snows!

Anonymous said...

JoAnna,

I'm sure your flight home will be fine but I totally understand...I've been in some rough turbulance before and you're sure THIS is IT. Can't wait to have you home safe and sound!!!

Love,
LB

PS...The toilet is on the middle of the room??? That is craziness, I would NEVER use it!!!

Anonymous said...

Ick toilet in the middle of the room???I would find a mcdoanlds and pee there.
Have a shot of Tequilla and the ride home will be a breeze.
I will see you at the airport. I can sleep in Monday because my boys are going shopping without me.

Paula

Anonymous said...

Jo-Anna,
It seems your experiences with accomadations is not the best. Hopefully, it will be hot and sunny for the next few days. It doesn't seem so bad if that is the case. You have done the big one and now take a big breath ,carry on you are almost here. I can only imagine the flight. I am thinking of you always and counting the days until you are home safe and sound.I have a turkey in the fridge!!! Be careful in L.A.
Love mommy xxxxooo